This week, Opera America announced the thirteen opera companies selected to share $300,000 in grants to support programs and projects that increase first-time opera attendance and return visits. The individual grants range from $7,500 to $30,000. The thirteen companies (and their projects) are:
- American Opera Projects (Have a Voice), Brooklyn, NY
- Arizona Opera (¡Viva Opera! ), Phoenix and Tuscon, AZ
- Florentine Opera (Bohème Society), Milwaukee, WI
- Los Angeles Opera (Newcomer Project), CA
- Madison Opera (the Madison Opera Center), WI
- Opera on the James (GET REAL), Lynchburg, VA
- Opera Memphis (30 Days of Opera), TN
- Opera Theater of Pittsburgh (My First Time), PA
- San Franscico Opera (Community Open House), CA
- Sarasota Opera (Summer Screening Series), FL
- Seattle Opera (the Preferred Subscriber Program and Select Your Own Seat), WA
- Syracuse Opera (IDEAS Collaborative), NY
- Vancouver Opera (Transporting Opera Audiences), Canada
The thirteen grantees were selected from a pool of 67 companies competing for support from Opera America’s new ‘Building Opera Audiences’ grant program. In its first year, this new program is made possible by funding from the Ann and Gordon Getty Foundation. The thirteen companies selected are pursuing innovative projects to increase attendance through use of technology and social media, special activities for the community, or meaningful discussion with community members to better understand the barriers that prevent the public from attending and listening to opera. Opera America will evaluate each program and project awarded. Congratulations to the grantees- we look forward to following the outcome of these projects and programs!
A description of each opera companies’ specific project can be found in Opera America’s press release.