Call for Session Proposals - 2009 Technology in the Arts: Canada

Proposals for sessions and workshops are currently being accepted for the 2009 Technology in the Arts: Canada Conference to be held in Waterloo & Stratford, Ontario from May 10-12, 2009. This year's conference is being held in conjunction with the Canada 3.0: Defining Canada's Digital Future Conference. The deadline for submitting your proposal is Monday, January 19, 2009.

The conference has two primary types of programming - Hands-On Training Workshops and Breakout Sessions.

  • Hands-On Training Workshops: Sunday, May 10th: Held in a computer lab environment on the University of Waterloo campus, Waterloo, Ontario, these workshops will provide "nuts & bolts" instruction to guide participants through technical processes toward concrete solutions to work-place challenges. Each hands-on workshop will last 2 hours and 30 minutes. Workshop leaders should anticipate using 25% of the time for informational lecture and the remaining 75% of the time for hands-on instruction.
  • Breakout Sessions: Monday, May 11th & Tuesday, May 12th: Held in breakout rooms at the Stratford Rotary Complex, Stratford, Ontario, conference sessions may use a number of possible formats to cover relevant issues relating to the use (or potential use) of technology in arts, heritage or cultural management and/or production. Breakout sessions will last 1 hour and 15 minutes.
  • Proposal Criteria: A panel of arts and technology practitioners will review all submitted proposals to select the final program in late January.  Sessions will be selected based on the following criteria:

  • Exploration of new or compelling ideas, technologies or practices
  • Speakers' expertise and/or experience with the topic
  • Session's relevance to the conference
  • In addition to the above criteria, the panel will be charged with selecting workshops and sessions with an eye toward providing a well-rounded program of topics and ideas for conference attendees that will include managers, staff and artistic/curatorial personnel from the arts, heritage and cultural sector, as well as individual artists.


    Benefits for Presenters: Presenters will receive complimentary access to the conference for the day on which they present, and discounted registration for other days they wish to attend.  All session participants will be responsible for their own travel and hotel expenses.

    Proposal Components: To be considered, proposals must include the following information:

  • Session title
  • Session type - Hands-On Training Workshop or Breakout Session
  • Session format - For Breakout Session proposals only
  • Description of proposed session
  • Explanation of relevance to the conference
  • Contact information for session leader
  • Other potential presenters and what expertise they would add to the session
  • Not an expert? You don't have to be!  Here are some tips for putting together a session.

    Questions? Contact us.

    The 2009 Technology in the Arts: Canada Conference is a partnership between the Centre for Cultural Management at the University of Waterloo and the Center for Arts Management and Technology at Carnegie Mellon University.